ITTF Foundation visit
- From 1st - 5th April 2023, a delegation from the ITTF Foundation, including President Petra Sörling and Director Leandro Olvech, visited our Community Table Tennis program in Bhubaneswar. Over the 5 days, the PSD and ITTF Foundation teams engaged in learning and knowledge exchange, while witnessing the power of table tennis to end gender discrimination and develop soft skills in youth.
Mixed Gender Table Tennis Events
- On 29th January 2023, PSD organized a second mixed-gender table tennis tournament. 46 girls and 62 boys participated in the tournament, which aimed to promote gender equality and to end all forms of discrimination against women and girls. A previous mixed-gender TT tournament had been organized in July 2022.
Sports Carnival 2023
- In collaboration with Global Fund for Children, PSD organized a two-day sports carnival across two community schools in Bhubaneswar from 11th - 12th February 2023. The carnival was attended by 351 children (190 boys and 161 girls), who are part of our Community Sports Program.
- To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP), PSD organized the third annual volleyball tournament on 6th April. 32 participants from PSD, Martha Farrell Foundation and PRIA took part in the tournament, while discussing the impact sport has on our daily lives and ways in which sport can be made more inclusive.
Workshop on gender and sexual diversity in sports
- In April 2023, Nazariya - a queer feminist resource group - held two-day workshops for our teams in Delhi and Bhubaneswar, highlighting gender and sexual diversity, and how this plays out in sports. The workshops aimed at sensitizing our teams to the issues of gender diversity, and equipping us to take these learnings further onto the field.
Mixed-Gender Netball Tournament
- Since 2017, five mixed-gender netball tournaments have been held in Bhubaneswar: one each in 2017, 2018, 2020 and two in 2022, as part of the Community Sports Program.
- A total of 687 students have participated in the five editions of the tournament, of which 332 were boys and 355 were girls.
To mark the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) in 2022, PSD organized an event for participants from six community schools in Bhubaneswar. Over 350 children participated in the event, with 50% being girls.
Different games from our Community Sports Program curriculum were used to engage with children, led by different team members and peer leaders from PSD.
After the games, the children were encouraged to discuss the various lessons they learnt from them and the ways in which sport can bring about peace and resolve conflict.
Tackling Homophobia in Sport
To mark #FootballPeopleWeeks 2021, PSD organized a workshop with our staff, peer leaders and colleagues from PRIA and Martha Farrell Foundation around homophobia in sport.
The interactive workshop took place in a hybrid format, with participants from Delhi attending in person and participants from Bhubaneswar joining in online.
The workshop focused on how homophobia is instilled in and perpetuated through sport, and how we can become more sensitive allies.
To mark the IDSDP 2021, we organized a volleyball tournament with colleagues from our partner organizations – PRIA and Martha Farrell Foundation. The tournament fostered engagement, fair play and team spirit. Participants were also encouraged to share their opinions on the importance of recreational sport with others.
PSD also organized an online “Juggle the Ball” challenge to engage with partners and program participants in Bhubaneswar to highlight the continued importance of sport as the world battled the COVID-19 pandemic.
For IDSDP 2020, we organized a tweet chat on the theme of “Sport and Unity in the Time of Distress.” Various partner organizations such as the Martha Farrell Foundation, Anantapur Sports Academy, PRIA, Milaan Foundation and the ITTF Foundation joined to discuss the importance of sport during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To encourage children and youth to continue to stay fit and active through the pandemic, PSD also organized a series of fitness challenges and instructional videos.
Mixed-Gender Kho-Kho Tournament
- Organized for students of the Community Sports Program, the tournament took place in February 2019 and was hosted by Beena Bharati Vidya Mandir school in Bharatpur slum.
- A total of 118 children between the ages of 10 and 15 years participated in the event from four different schools, with 49% participation by girls.
- 54 children from our Community Sports Program attended the IDSDP 2019 celebrations held in Bhubaneswar, 47% of which were girls.
- An “Opinion Wall” was created which allowed children, teachers and community members to share their thoughts about the importance of sport and how it has impacted them and their communities.
Ferit Cricket Bash
- PSD assisted the Ferit Cricket Bash, an amateur national cricket league in India, by supporting the cricket selection and coaching camps held in New Delhi and Haryana in September and December 2019.
- Both camps reached close to 700 cricket aspirants.
Mixed-Gender Football Tournament
- Two editions of the mixed-gender football tournament have been organized to date – in June 2018 and October 2019.
- Organized as part of the Community Sports Program and in partnership with the FARE Network, the tournament broke down gender barriers and promoted inclusion among the children.
- A total of 276 students participated in the two editions of the tournament, with 48% of the participants being girls.
- 120 children from seven schools of the Community Sports Program participated in this tournament, organized in February 2018. 50% of the participants were girls.
- The event gave participants a chance to experience healthy competition, interact with peers from other schools, and foster the spirit of inclusion and gender equality.
Mixed-Gender Volleyball Tournament
- Two editions of the tournament were organized – in September 2017 and September 2018.
- A total of 280 children participated in the tournaments, 50% of which were girls.
- Interactive workshops at three of the Community Sports Program centres in Bhubaneswar, Odisha from 3rd to 6th April, 2017. The workshops saw the participation of 69 children (58% girls), between the ages of 9 and 14 years old.
International Women's Day 2017
- To mark International Women’s Day, a series of workshops at five centres of the Community Sports Program were held in February and March 2017. 201 children, 46% of which were girls, participated in the events.
- For IDSDP 2016, PSD hosted netball and dodgeball tournaments for four of its community schools in Bhubaneswar. The tournaments were attended by 80 children aged between 8 and 13 years old.
International Women's Day 2016
- To mark International Women’s Day, a workshop was organized for two of PSD’s community schools in Bhubaneswar. The workshops promoted the importance of equal participation and the rights of women through sport. 110 children attended the workshop, 50% of which were girls.
Children's Day 2016
- In the lead up to Children’s Day in November 2016, PSD organized four days of friendly sports competitions across five of its community program centres in Bhubaneswar.
- Competitions were held in dodgeball, beat the ball, and touch and run. 273 children participated in the celebrations, of which 44% were girls
Mayurbhanj Football League
- Between 2015 and 2019, PSD assisted in the organization of the Mayurbhanj Football League in the village of Kanpur, in the Mayurbhanj district of Odisha.
- The tournament has been running for 9 years, every June, and the 9th edition in 2017 saw 16 teams of 240 boys competing.
- As part of its Khel Vikas program, PSD organized a yearly 5k race in the Ganjam district of Odisha, between 2013 and 2015. The course of the race ran from Tamana village to the Gram Vikas campus, Mohuda.
- PSD hosted the Odisha State Weightlifting Championship 2014-15 for Youth, Junior and Senior categories in November 2014 at the Centre of Sporting Excellence, established as part of the Khel Vikas program.
- As part of its Khel Vikas program, PSD held an annual Inter-Club Weightlifting Tournament from 2013 - 2015, as an off-season event to build the confidence among the weightlifters before the competition season kicked off. The competition brought together three of the most prominent clubs in and around Berhampur – Beer Hanuman Club, Government Sports Hostel BAM and Khel Vikas Weightlifting Academy.